What did I inherit from him?
Couldn't figure it out for years until just recently when he spoke about his past working experience (which he had told us for don't know how many times already). At that time he was working as a salesperson at a fax machine manufacturing company. He has no idea how a fax machine works, how to provide a quotation and not to mention how to fix a fax machine. However, a colleague of his approached him and told him that he is willing to help if he needs any advice/guide.
One day, he went to his colleague to ask him how to fix a certain issue that he encountered on the fax machine. Unfortunately, his colleague replied, "This is so easy and you don't even know how to do it? Don't waste my time.". After that incident, he told himself "Just you wait. If you can do it, I can do it too!". He started to read thru the catalog and the manual page by page. Every day trying his best to understand and remember what he learned.
There was a time where he had to travel to Muar (if I remember the location correctly haha) to help a client to troubleshoot a faulty fax machine. On the first day, he couldn't find what is the root cause. He went back and study on the manual again. On day two, he traveled to the clients to perform the inspection. However, he still couldn't find the problem. He was persistent. He chooses not to give up even though the situation seems very difficult. "I am going to solve it no matter how long it will take", that's what he told to himself. On day three, after further inspection, he finally figures out what is the problem. The module card was spoil and a new card (including some programming) is required to get the fax machine going. He finally solves the problem and the rest is history. Years later, he built a startup as an electrical contractor, and his company lasts for 25 years which I think is very impressive.
After hearing his story, he made me realized something. I had it in me for quite some time and I didn't notice that part is actually from him. It is the will to take up challenges and never give up. This reminds me of the time when I was deciding whether to become an active member and join the team in dragon boat paddling. I was scared at first but somehow I made the decision to join. Thanks to that I have gained a lot of confidence and most importantly friends. The leap of faith might always seem difficult and scary. But look at the bright side, think of it as something that will change your life forever. If it is a bad decision, learned from it. If it is a good decision, make the most out of it. You won't know until you try it.
I'm proud to say that I have an amazing father :)
Comments
Post a Comment